2015 - present PhD candidate. University of Western Australia (Australia)
2014 Master with Honours. University of Queensland (Australia)
Previously, I was doing research in the human genome at the Institute for Molecular Bioscience (IMB), Univesity of Queensland.
Now I'm applying the knowledge of bioinformatics and genomics to the study of plants at the University of Western Australia.
My major research is using the improved long read sequencing and optical mapping to improve plant genome assemblies and then performing structural variation detection between different plant cultivars. The plants involved are Brassica napus, Triticum aestivum and Trifolium subterraneum.
Awards and Prizes
2015: Scholarship for International Research Fees by the University of Western Austraila
2015: Postgraduate scholarship by the China Scholarship Council.
- Book chapters
- Yuan Y, Scheben A, Batley J and Edwards D. (2017) Using genomics to adapt crops to climate change. Springer, (submitted)
- Yuan Y, Scheben A, Chan CKK and Edwards D. (2017) Databases for wheat genomics and crop improvement. Wheat Biotechnology: Methods and Protocols, Methods in Molecular Biology, vol. 1679, doi: 10.1007/978-1-4939-7337-8_18, Springer (in press)
- Yuan Y, Lee H, Hu H, Scheben A, Edwards D. (2018) Single-cell genomic analysis in plants. Genes. doi: 10.3390/genes9010050
- Yuan Y, Bayer P, Scheben A, Chan CKK, Edwards D. (2017) BioNanoAnalyst: A visualisation tool to assess genome assembly quality using BioNano data. BMC Bioinformatics. doi: 10.1186/s12859-017-1735-4
- Yuan Y, Bayer P, Lee H, Edwards D. (2017) runBNG: A software package for BioNano genomic analysis on the command line. Bioinformatics. doi: 10.1093/bioinformatics/btx366
- Bayer P, Hurgobin B, Golicz A, Chan K, Yuan Y, Lee H, Renton M, Meng J, Li R, Long Y, Zou J, Bancroft I, Chalhoub B, King G, Batley J, Edwards D. (2017) Assembly and comparison of two closely related Brassica napus genomes. Plant Biotechnology Journal. doi:10.1111/pbi.12742
- Yuan Y, Bayer P, Batley J, Edwards D. (2017) Improvements in genomic technologies: application to crop genomics. Trends in Biotechnology. doi: 10.1016/j.tibtech.2017.02.009
- Kaur P, Bayer P, Milec Z, Vrána J, Yuan Y, Appels R, Edwards D, Batley J, Nichols P, Erskine W, Doležel J. (2017) An advanced reference genome of Trifolium subterraneum L. reveals genes related to agronomic performance. Plant Biotechnology Journal. doi: 10.1111/pbi.12697
- Scheben A, Yuan Y, Edwards D. (2016) Advances in genomics for adapting crops to climate change. Current Plant Biology. 6: 2-10. doi:10.1016/j.cpb.2016.09.001
- Conference proceedings
- Yuan Y, Bayer P, Edwards D. (2016) Improving crop genome assemblies using optical mapping and long read sequencing. Brassica Conference 2016 Melbourne, PO053
PhD candidate (Applied Bioinformatics)
School of Biological Sciences
University of Western Australia
Perth, WA, 6009